Monday, November 25, 2013

Merry in Maine

Here I am, living in Maine. Teaching. Wow.

To me it feels natural and normal. But a few years ago I would marvel at who I am right now and what I am doing. I am living life with intention and finding life responding.


I have been in this lovely town (and oh boy is it lovely!) since August. But I recently found a trail that brought the concept home to me: This is MAINE. Close to me is a small network of trails. A small summit rises above the cross country skiing trails. The exposed rock is curved and formed in large slabs. It's rugged and pretty.

The summit looks out over the ponds and lakes of this region, east instead of west. I enjoy the summit. I also enjoy the small sub-summit that looks towards the west. But the gem, the gem I found only this past Sunday. From the summit a narrow overgrown trail descends. I never noticed it before. It's steep. It's rocky. It's Maine in all its glory. The boulders aren't as big as the ones in Mahoosuc Notch, but the way I had to brace myself and use my hands reminded me very much of descending Mahoosuc Arm. I think I will use this area as my training ground.

With my explorations I also found a small outcropping of rock with a beautiful view of the lower lakes. It's a broad, flat rock that is somewhat sheltered from the wind. It's the perfect spot to bring out a sleeping bag and do some stargazing. I think when the snow is on the ground that is exactly what I will do.

Merry in Maine


No comments:

Post a Comment