Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Delivery! Maps and Guide Books


My maps and guide books arrived in the mail today!

This is starting to feel real. Until now I have been refining my backpacking kit and working on my skills. But this, this is the start of something big.

Unbeknownst to me, the trail guides are ordered backwards! They are written for someone hiking from Maine to Georgia (MEGA) rather than from Georgia to Maine (GAME). I find that a bit odd because the majority of thru hikers walk the trail northbound. It's not really a big deal because they have directions written for each. But it feels strange to start at the back of the book and proceed to the front. Also, I won't be using the turn by turn directions - I want the books to find out what sites and sights I don't want to miss and to learn a little bit about each.

Now I have some more material to add to my reading list for my flight to France. I'll be visiting family there, cooking, eating, skiing, and playing games. I can't wait to get out and do some cross-country skiing. I fell in love with it during the last trip. I hope there's snow!!

Meriadoc

2 comments:

  1. Who are you trying to fool? You ALWAYS start at the back of the book!

    ReplyDelete